Travel to the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul in Minnesota and one will find the largest shopping mall in the United States and all of the Western Hemisphere. The size of this mall is truly massive and one can get lost in here for days. It is full of attractions to keep the whole family entertained - one can even scuba dive in the mall. It offers a full range of dining options - including high-end luxury shopping. There are scores of hotels directly connected to the mall and there is every type of gourmet food one could hope to find.
About The Mall of America
- Date Opened: 1992
- Rank: Seventh-Largest Shopping Mall In The World Depending On The Metric Used
- Number of Shoppers: Approx. 40 Million Annually
- Number Of Stores: 520
The Mall of America is massive occupying some 4,870,000 square feet of space or 96.4 acres. That is enough to fit a whopping seven Yankee Stadiums inside this one shopping center.
Surprisingly the mall is essentially not heated despite being located in Minnesota's cold northern winters. The building is warmed by skylights, lighting fixtures, and the many people occupying the mall. This is enough to keep the mall warm and even in the winter air conditioning system can still be running.
The mall also features a miniature golfing area called Moose Mountain complete with eighteen holes and a fairly fast astroturf surface.
There are a number of attractions at the mall. One of the most noticeable is an indoor theme park in the center of the mall called Nickelodeon Universe. It features roller coaster rides and other rides and attractions to keep all the kids entertained for hours. Rides include:
- SpongeBob SquarePants Bottom Plunge
- Fairly Odd Coaster
- Back at the Barnyard Hayride
- Avatar Airbender
- Size: Nickelodeon Is The Largest Indoor Theme Park In America
Sea Life Minnesota Aquarium
This is Minnesota's largest aquarium and brings visitors face to face with the life of the sea. It is without a doubt one of the must-see aquariums in the United States.
A little like the massive aquarium in the luxuriant Mall of Dubai, there is also the Sea Life Minnesota Aquarium. At this aquarium, shoppers can go through a 300-foot long curved tunnel. The aquarium is stocked full and teeming with life and offers a range of activities including scuba diving and snorkeling.
- Sea Creatures: 4,500 Including Sharks, Stingrays, Jellyfish, Seahorses, Turtles, And many Other Species
- Water: 1.3 Million Gallons Of Water
- Admission Ticket: Starting At $21.99 Per Person or $20.99 For Minnesota Residents
- Open: The Aquarium is Currently Open With Reduced Capacity - Book In Advance To Avoid Being Sold Out (Also Save Money)
This is a fun flight simulation ride that gives the guest exhilarating aerial tours of some of America's most stunning landmarks and regions. These tours using virtual flight technology are fully immersive and engages multiple senses with mist, wind, and even scents.
One of the rides is They Fly Hawaii ride with alternates every 15 minutes with FlyOver America.
- Adults: Cost $19.99
- Children 12 and Under: $15.99
Situated in the center of the mall in the east market area is an M&Ms store that is more than 24,000 square feet in size. It incorporates decor that pays tribute to Midwestern culture and offers a range of exclusive merchandise. Gaze in wonder at the M&M store's iconic Wall of Chocolate.
Hotels And Accommodation
The Mall of America has many luxury and affordable hotels next to it, or directly connected to it. So one can really enjoy some world-class shopping while staying at these hotels. Some of these hotels include:
- Radisson Blu Mall of America: Rates Starting From $148.00
- JW Marriott Minneapolis Mall of America: Directly Connected To the Mall, Rates From $179.00
- Mystic Lake Casino Hotel: Has A Complimentary Daily Shuttle to The Mall, Rates From $135.00
- Omni Viking Lakes Hotel: Luxury Hotel 8.4 Miles Drive From the Mall
- Park Plaza Minneapolis Mall Of America: Directly Across The Street, Rates From $110.00
- Hyatt Regency Bloomington-Minneapolis: One Blue Line Stop From The Mall, Rates From $100.00
- Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America: Free Shuttle To Both The Mall And The Airport, Rates From $104.00
There are many more hotel options connected to the Mall of America. See the Mall's website here for a full list.
In a mall this large, one can find just about any cuisine that one could ever hope to find. There is everything here from hamburgers to Mexican, to Italian, to Chinese, to fine dining. It is impossible to list out all the restaurants in the Mall of America here, but a full list can be seen here.