Just north of LA and out of the hustle of the city is the city of Ojai. Sitting just over LA and along the coast, Ojai serves as a bit of a bastion for those trying to escape the city. With proximity to Los Padres National Forest and the Santa Barbara coast, Ojai offers an incredible opportunity to kick back and enjoy a bit of nature without actually going too far.
Travelers can expect a bit of luxury inside the city’s downtown as well as at some of its numerous hotels. Nearly everything will be locally sourced, though, so travelers can feel good spending their leisure time here. Here is what the city is known for.
Top Things To Do In Ojai
Travelers to Ojai will be able to find quite a few ways to pass their time. Being located right near the coast and to Los Padres National Forest, There is much for nature lovers to do here. Also, Ojai is full of classy local stores that are more than ready to entertain visitors.
Hike the Rose Valley Falls Trail
Travelers looking for a quick but scenic hike should check out the Rose Valley Falls Tail within the Los Padres National Forest. It is just a 40-minute drive from the downtown area, and visitors can experience streams and canyons while they snap photos of the scenic mountain range or of the waterfall. Travelers can actually swim to a cave behind the waterfall.
- Length - 1.8 km (1.1 miles)
- Duration - 32 minutes
- Elevation Gain - 65 m
- Route Type - Out & back
- Trail Map
Shop at a Locally Owned Store
Ojai is not the home to popular chain stores and brands. Ojai instead offers a variety of local shopping centers that deal with a lot of locally sourced products. These family-run stores carry everything from garden furniture, jewelry, and soup to vintage clothing, pottery, and unique trinkets.
Check-Out the World’s Largest Outdoor Bookstore
For those who love books and a bit of fresh air, they can check out the world’s largest Outdoor Bookstore. With more than 130,000 books of varying ages, travelers to Bart’s Book store can find a great variety of genres. They have been in operation since 1964 and are a staple to the community.
Cycle the Ojai Valley Bike Trail
The Ojai Valley Bike Trail is a popular 9-mile trail that many travelers take. The trail runs from Foster Park to the center of Ojai. The route heads out straight from Ojai Valley Inn to downtown Ojai. They even offer free bike rentals! The trail is also open to running and walking.
- Hours - 7:00 am to Sunset
- Trailhead - Inside Foster Park in Ventura
- Trail Fees - None
- Trail Maintenance - Ventura County Parks Department
- Length - 9 Miles
- Users - Bicyclists, walkers, joggers, equestrian
- Prohibited - Motorized vehicles (gas or electric) except for Class 1 and Class 2 motorized bicycles
- Dogs/Pets - Must be on a leash (maximum length of 6 feet)
- Trail Map
Explore the Los Padres National Forest
Aside from the aforementioned Rose Valley Falls Trail, Los Padres National Forest has a lot to offer visitors. It is the second-largest national forest in California and is home to an abundance of walking and hiking trails. With over 468 species of wildlife, there is so much nature to discover here.
Tours To Book Around Ojai
There are quite a few tours offered in and around Ojai. Being just north of LA and a bit of an escape from the city, Ojai serves as a hotspot for travelers looking for a bit of adventure outside the city.
Private Surf Lessons In Ventura
Travelers who have considered learning to surf, or have given it a couple of tries, can venture down to the beach to receive private surf lessons for beginners. The beach is just a 30-minute drive from downtown and is quite accessible. It is definitely a recommended way to pass an afternoon.
- 1.5 Hour Private Beginner Surf Lesson - Book Now
Santa Barbara Kayaking Trip
Travelers who enjoy kayaking as well as experiencing ocean life should try the Santa Barabara Kayaking trip. The trip is about four hours long, taking travelers along the Santa Barbara coastline, which is him to more than 1,500 species of plants and animals. The tour is an excellent way to get up close to this fabulous coastal habitat.
- Santa Barbara Kayaking Trip - Book Now
Santa Barbara Cupcake & Wine Tour
For a relaxed adventure, travelers can partake in the Santa Barbara Cupcake & Wine Tour. This classy tour will take travelers to sample a dozen mini cupcakes and spend the day wine tasting in Santa Ynez Valley. It is hard to top this excursion.
- Santa Barbara Cupcake & Wine Tour - Book Now
Where To Stay In Ojai
There are more than a few choices when staying in Ojai. Below is a list of five hotels that would be perfect for travelers to the region. For those who are okay spending a bit extra, The Ojai Valley Inn becomes a top suggestion.
- Ojai Retreat & Inn – Affordable 3-star hotel with sweeping views of the mountains
- Hummingbird Inn of Ojai – Budget-friendly, quiet area with beautiful mountain views.
- Su Nido All-Suites Boutique Inn – 4-star, highly rated suite options
- The Capri Hotel – lovely pool, affordable pricing, mountain setting
- Blue Iguana Inn – Budget-friendly, highly rated, quiet rural area near Los Padres National Forest.
Ojai Valley Inn
Travelers to the Ojai Valley can expect an incredibly luxurious experience while staying here. Dining under oak trees at their signature restaurant, roasting smores under the star, enjoying a few cocktails, and taking advantage of its proximity to downtown Ojai are all expected from a stay here.
- Address - 905 Country Club Road, Ojai, California, United States, 93023
- Contact - (855) 697-8780
- Book Now
Where To Eat And Drink In Ojai
As a bit of a growing foodie destination, Ojai has quite a few places worth checking out in terms of cuisine. Ojai also has that relaxed vibe with a w few watering holes. There are a few places where travelers can find some good food and drink too.
- Olivella – Conveniently located next to the Ojai Valley in, Olivella makes use of locally grown and sourced food for its dishes.
- Deer Lodge – One of the oldest restaurants in the valley, Deer Lodge doesn't only serve classic California food but also is a bar, a concert venue, a biker bar, a restaurant, and a lodge-style bar.
- Ojai Beverage Company – This bar has craft beers on tap with over 20 tasting options.
- The Ojai Pub – The pub has specialty cocktails, an extensive wine menu, craft beer list with both a patio and an inside area for visitors.