Sitting at 7,966 feet (2,428 meters) above sea level, Buena Vista is a stunning town surrounded by mountain peaks rising 14,000 feet (4267 meters) into the sky. The views from this town that sits on the Arkansas River are breathtaking. However, the primary draw is fueled by the geothermal activity breath this mountain town, the hot springs.As may be expected, there is an abundance of outdoor activities in this region. However, one of the primary draws for tourists coming here is their hot springs and hot spring resorts.With a mix of private and public hot springs available there is one for everyone. Here is a look into the resorts that are available and what they have to accommodate their visitors as well as some of the other activities that can be engaged in during your visit.
Private Hot Springs
Merrifield Homestead Cabins and Hot Springs
Surrounded by the Collegiate Peaks Mountains, and only a short drive from the lovely town of Buena Vista, Merrifield Homestead Cabins and Hot Springs is a wonderful destination for relaxation. They are a privately run and operated hot spring resort that looks over Cottonwood Creek making it a tranquil getaway.
- Address - 19320 Co Rd 306, Buena Vista, CO 81211, United States
- Contact - (719)581-0282
- Customer Rating - 4.7 out of 5
Antero Hot Spring Cabins
Antero Hot Spring Cabins are Located in the San Isabel National Forest in Colorado's Fourteeners Region. Residing along Chalk Creek, this hot spring resort offers three unique accommodations. They offer Hotense Cabin, Cottonwood Cabin & Chalk Cliffs Chalet. They each possess a picturesque and had-crafted hot spring just outside their door.
- Address - Salida, CO 81201
- Contact - (719)539-8204
- Customer Rating - 5 out of 5
Treehouse Hot Springs
This unique hot spring resort at the base of Mt Princeton and Mt Antero is a genuine treehouse available for rental. It comes with its own private hot spring pool and plenty of living space including five bedrooms. Being a treehouse, you have a wonderful 360-degree view of the surrounding area including Chalk Creek Valley.
- Address - 16390 Co Rd 162, Nathrop, CO 81236
- Contact - (720)351-0289
- Customer Rating - 4.9 out of 5
Public Hot Springs
Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Located in Nathrop, Colorado, a short distance from Buena Vista, Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort is an excellent location for a variety of group or couples getaways. The resort has rooms available for rent as well as hot springs that are open to the public.
- Address - 15870 Co Rd 162, Nathrop, CO 81236, United States
- Contact - (719)395-2447
- Customer Rating - 4.4 out of 5
Cottonwood Hot Springs Inn & Spa
Located in the high mountain environment of the Collegiate Peaks with Cottonwood Creek running alongside the premise and encompassed by the San Isabel National Forest, Cottonwood Hot Springs Inn & Spa offers a public hot spring as well as accommodation.
- Address - 18999 Co Rd 306, Buena Vista, CO 81211, United States
- Contact - (719)395-6434
- Customer Rating - 4.2 out of 5
Popular Outdoor Activities
Being at such a high elevation and surrounded by stunning peaks, Buena Vista is an excellent location for a hike. It is important to note, that particularly due to the elevation, you won’t find many easy hikes here. It is essential to make sure you are properly prepared. That being said, here are the top five rated hikes from the region.
- Huron Peak via North Huron Trail - (Hard) map
- Mount Yale Summit Trail - (Hard) map
- Lost Lake Trail - (Moderate) map
- Kroenke Lake Trail - (Moderate) map
- Mount Harvard Trail - (Hard) map
Both mountain biking and road cycling are popular activities in this region. The terrain is excellent for it, even if some rides can be quite challenging. Whether you're looking to cruise along the roads or tackle some off-road trails take the advice of the local professionals.
- Lower Gentleman’s Loop (Half Gentleman’s Loop) - (Mountain, Moderate) map
- Barbara Whipple Figure Eight - (Mountain, Hard) map
- Buena Vista To Mount Princeton & Nathrop Loop - (Road, Moderate) map
- Cottonwood Pass - (Road, Hard) map
Kayaking and Rafting
This region is home to many rivers that are popular kayak and rafting destinations. Here are a few companies to rent from and tour with that are worth checking out.
- Noah's Ark Whitewater Rafting - 23910 US Hwy. 285, Buena Vista, CO 81211, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Performance Tours Rafting - 107 Ski Hill Road, Breckenridge, CO 80424, email@example.com
- Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center - 23850 Hwy 285 S, Buena Vista, CO 81211, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Historic Downtown
Dating back to 1889–1890, this district of Buena Vista is primarily made up of one and two-story masonry buildings. It offers that old cowboy feel and has many historical locations that mark this city's past.
- Royer's Restaurant (c. 1940) - Menu, 105 Main Street Round Top, TX 78954
- Buena Vista War Memorial Building (1954) - website, 1953 Magnolia Ave, Buena Vista, VA 24416, United States
South Main Neighborhood
This more modern downtown district is built right along the water and has the mission of encouraging a sustainable and active lifestyle in its community. Idyllic and beautiful, this district of Buena Vista is home to many upcoming restaurants and businesses.