US I-70 crosses through the heart of the US. from the busy East Coast through the Midwest and then the stunning landscape of the South Western United States. This is a road trip with a mix of city experiences and outdoor adventure. Though I-70 may not make it entirely across the US it will be the primary road for this adventure. Starting in Baltimore Maryland, take a traverse vast forests, great plains, red earth, mountains, and the stunning landscape that the United States has to offer.
Day 1 - Baltimore, MD
A great deal of what’s fun to do in Baltimore is centered around its harbor area. Here you can find open-air concerts, entertainers, parades, and fireworks. There are also plenty of unique shops, landmarks, and restaurants to explore as well. Fells Point is the oldest section of Baltimore and has a few pubs to check out too.
- Joe Benny's Focacceria - $$-$$$, 313 S High St, Baltimore, MD 21202-4332
- Di Pasquale's Italian Marketplace & Deli - $$-$$$, 3700 Gough St, Baltimore, MD 21224-2539
Day 2 - Wheeling, WV
With the Ohio River cutting through the City, Wheeling is both a scenic and entertaining stop for this cross-country journey. The parks offer great vantage points of the river, but the Kruger Street Toy & Train Museum and Coleman’s Fish Market are great ways to spend your time too.
- Travel Distance - 278 miles, 4 hours 43 minutes
- The Kruger Street Toy & Train Museum - 144 Kruger St, Wheeling, WV 26003-5158
- Coleman's Fish Market - 2226 Market St, Wheeling, WV 26003-3857
Day 3 - Columbus, OH
Columbus is the capital of Ohio and offers up an acclaimed food scene as well as an artsy culture. The COSI is a well-known science center worth exploring. The Columbus Zoo and waterpark are also fun attractions.
- Travel Distance - 127 miles, 1 hour 59 minute
- COSI (Center of Science and Industry) - 333 W Broad St, Columbus, OH 43215-2738
- Fox in the Snow Cafe - $$-$$$, 1031 N 4th St, Columbus, OH 43201-3629
- Z Cucina di Spirito - $$-$$$, 1368 Grandview Ave, Columbus, OH 43212-2803
Day 4 - Indianapolis, IND
Indianapolis is home to the Motor Speedway and Hall of Fame Museum as well many other bits of popular history. You can visit the Children's Museum of Indianapolis as well as the Indianapolis Museum of Art. It’s also not a bad place to grab a doughnut if you are so inclined.
- Travel Distance - 176 miles, 2 hours 41 minutes
- Children's Museum of Indianapolis - 3000 N Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN 46208-4716
- Indianapolis Museum of Art - 4000 Michigan Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46208-4196
- Long's Bakery - $, 1453 N Tremont St, Indianapolis, IN 46222-2800
Day 5 - St. Louis, MO
The iconic home of the Gateway Arch and plenty more. St. Louis has a great history of blues music and a few museums to check out as well. The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis is a stunning and rather unique sight in North America. It’s worth the time to explore and immerse yourself in this city.
- Travel Distance - 242 miles, 3 hours 43 minutes
- Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis - 4431 Lindell Blvd at Newstead Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63108-2403
- Forest Park - Concourse Drive, Saint Louis, MO 63110
- Blues City Deli - 2438 McNair Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63104-2815
Day 6 - Kansas City, MO
Swing and bebop culture have plenty of roots spread throughout this city. It is the home of jazz clubs and old haunts of famous musicians such as Charlie Parker and Count Basie. It also has more fountains than Rome, if that’s a draw for you. There are also a few zoos and museums to explore as well.
- Travel Distance - 248 miles, 3 hours 45 minutes
- National WWI Museum and Memorial - 2 Memorial Dr, Kansas City, MO 64108-4616
- Country Club Plaza - 4706 Broadway Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64112-1934
- Q39 - Midtown - $$-$$$, 1000 W 39th St, Kansas City, MO 64111-3859
Day 7 - Wilson State Park, KS
After several days of exploring cities, it's time to get out into some nature. Wilson State Park offers stunning views of Wilson Lake as well an abundance of outdoor activities like hiking or cycling to enjoy.
- Travel Distance - 227 miles, 3 hours 23 minutes
- Map of the Area
Day 8 - Denver, CO
A bit of a drive but welcome to Denver, a major city while at the same time one of the world’s natural wonders. The mile-high city is home to stunning views of the surrounding landscape, parks, and entertainment hubs to enjoy.
- Travel Distance - 387 miles, 5 hours 43 minutes
- Denver Botanic Gardens - 1007 York Street, Denver, CO 80206-3014
- Denver Union Station - 1701 Wynkoop St, Denver, CO 80202-1047
- Root Down - $$-$$$, 1600 W 33rd Ave, Denver, CO 80211-3507
- Tables - $$-$$$, 2267 Kearney St, Denver, CO 80207-3921
Day 9 - Glenwood Springs, CO
It's time to dive into the nature-heavy leg of this journey. After over a week of long car rides it’s time to stretch your legs at Glenwood Springs. Enjoy the hanging Lake and its associated trail system. Or, perhaps the Grizzly Creek trail will be more to your preference.
Day 10 - Arches National Park, UT
Not a large park, but stunning with its bizarre red stone formations, this is the perfect sight for a day trip. You should have time to explore most of the renowned formations this park has to offer. Arches National Park Scenic Drive is a great touring option. The Delicate Arch is probably the most famous location in the Park.
- Travel Distance - 202 miles, 3 hours 5 minutes
- Arches National Park Map
Day 11 - South Tent Mountain, UT
Located in the Manti-La Sal National Forest, this area was once used for grazing sheep and cattle however that had to change due to their destruction to the natural environment. Now it is open to hikers and visitors and is a great place to explore nature. If you time your trip right you can catch glimpses of colorful wildflowers in hues of purple, yellow, or red.
- Travel Distance - 163 miles, 3 hours 18 minutes
- South Trent Mountain Trail Map
Day 12 - Fool Creek Peak, UT
The hike up Fool Creek Peak is a bit challenging but offers stunning views of the surrounding areas. The hike takes about five hours to complete but if you time it right you can pull it off in a day.
- Travel Distance - 91.1 miles, 2 hours 53 minutes
- Fool Creek Peak Trail Map
Day 13 - Las Vegas, NV
Time to get out of the wild, cross the desert and enter the city of Vegas. What else needs to be said about this city that isn’t already known. I’m sure you will be able to find entertainment here easily enough but perhaps check out a couple of the destinations below.
- Travel Distance - 321 miles, 5 hours 21 minutes
- Stratosphere Tower - 2000 Las Vegas Blvd S Stratosphere Casino Hotel & Tower, Las Vegas, NV 89104-2507
- Mon Ami Gabi - $$-$$$, 3655 Las Vegas Blvd S Paris Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV 89109-4345
- Sushi Roku Las Vegas - $$-$$$, 3500 Las Vegas Blvd S Ste T-18, Las Vegas, NV 89109-8900
- Tacos El Gordo - $, 3049 Las Vegas Blvd S, Las Vegas, NV 89109-1960
Day 14 - Los Angeles, CA
Welcome to Tinseltown, the city of glamour. Los Angeles has a bit of everything for everyone even if you aren’t interested in Hollywood Culture. There are beautiful beaches, entertainment hubs, and an abundance of food culture. Here are some places to check out before you mark the official end of your road trip.
- Griffith Observatory - 2800 E. Observatory Rd., Los Angeles, CA 90027-1299
- The Getty Center - 1200 Getty Center Drive N Sepulveda Blvd & Getty Center Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90049-1657
- Guisados - $, 2100 E Cesar E Chavez Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90033-1823
- Philippe the Original - $, 1001 N Alameda St, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- Republique - $$-$$$, 624 S La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036-3568
- Travel Distance - 270 miles, 4 hours 3 minutes
- Total Distance Traveled - 2,889.1 miles
- Total Time Traveled - 47 hours 21 minutes