Start your journey to become an experienced hiker and world traveler with the majestic Tour du Mont Blanc. Or, if you’re already an experienced hiker, the Tour de Mont Blanc needs to be on your list of hikes to experience! The Tour du Mont Blanc is a 105-mile trekking trail through France, Italy, and Switzerland. This is a great opportunity for any hiker or world adventurer. There’s a chance to experience three different countries, local towns, beautiful scenery, and new friends from all over the world.
This adventure is a tour over the stretch of at least several days but it could be more. This hike is personal and flexible for whatever escapade you are looking for. It also caterers to hikers of all levels. There are many resting points along the trails, points for food and for water. If you decide partway through this hike is no longer for you, there are appropriate places to step out and back into the cities. There are many checkpoints and stops for either a break or an exit from the hike. Make sure to save the number for mountain rescue in each country if you need any extra help finding your way to town or exiting the hike.
Hiking and Camping in the Alps
There are many beautiful camping sites along the path and perfect areas for seeing all that nature has to offer. Spend a night sleeping under the stars and seeing the wonder of the night sky in three different countries. If camping out in a tent or in nature doesn’t seem like the best way to go there are also local and close places to rest for the night all along the journey or simply gather a full meal from one of the local restaurants. There are many stopping points, maps, and people willing to help guide you along this experience. While English is spoken through most of these places, learning a bit of French will go a long way for travelers looking to spend more time in the local towns.
Most experienced hikers have wonderful reviews of this striking site. They offer these points of advice:
- Stretch regularly and take breaks when needed
- If you’re not an experienced hiker, train your body ahead of time
- Travel light
- Have excellent hiking shoes
- Get an early start every morning for hiking
- Don’t forget medical supplies and a first aid kit
- Save the number for mountain rescue in each country
- Bring snacks and plenty of water
- Keep your passport and papers in Ziplock bags in case of rain
- Bring warm clothes - it’s cold at night and the weather is subject to change
- The best time to hike is spring
- Book campsites ahead of time - roughly 20 euros a night
- Make sure to bring cash; cards are not often accepted
There are about 11 stages to this long journey and people travel roughly 10 miles per day. Of course, depending on the experience of the hiker it could go much faster or could easily be drawn out to take longer if a more depth experience of this hike and these three countries is what you are looking for. Take time to plan how long you’d like this hike to last when booking your trip to the Tour du Mont Blanc. The official start & endpoint is the village of Les Houches in the Chamonix Valley.
What You Need to Know Before Embarking on This Epic Hiking Journey - The 11 Stages Of Hiking Tour du Mont Blanc
- FRANCE – LES HOUCHES (CHAMONIX) – LES CONTAMINES (10 miles)
- FRANCE – LES CONTAMINES – LES CHAPIEUX (11 miles)
- FRANCE/ITALY – LES CHAPIEUX (FR) – RIFUGIO ELISABETTA (IT) (9 miles)
- ITALY – REFUGIO ELISABETTA – COURMAYEUR (11 miles)
- ITALY – COURMAYEUR – RIFUGIO BONATTI (7.5 miles)
- ITALY/SWITZERLAND – RIFUGIO BONATTI (IT) – LA FOULY (CH) (12.5 miles)
- SWITZERLAND – LA FOULY – CHAMPEX-LAC (9 miles)
- SWITZERLAND – CHAMPEX-LAC – COL DE LA FORCLAZ (9.5 miles)
- SWITZERLAND/FRANCE – COL DE LA FORCLAZ – TRÉ-LE-CHAMP (FR) (8 miles)
- FRANCE – TRÉ-LE-CHAMP – REFUGE LA FLÉGÈRE (5 miles)
- FRANCE – REFUGE LA FLÉGÈRE – LES HOUCHES (10.5 miles)
This trail offers opportunities to hike solo or to hike with others in a guided group. Hiking in a guided group gives one the chance to make new friends, learn about new places and cultures. People from all over the world come and travel to do this hike. Meeting new friends in travel groups is a wonderful opportunity that could open more doors for further travel and other hikes.
If hiking solo sounds like it’s more your speed this is a great chance for meditation and self-reflection. Spend time with yourself in a beautiful healing atmosphere, experiencing nature at her finest. Have your own Cheryl Strayed moment on the hills in Italy or in the open fields of Switzerland. This is a perfect place to start fresh, get some perspective, and learn a bit more about you and what brings you joy. (Make sure to have people you are regularly messaging, however, for your own personal safety.)
This is truly an experience like no other. This hike offers many different trails, paths, and options for whatever one is looking for in their hiking experience. No matter if you are looking for a difficult and experienced hike or just starting your life as a hiker this is the place to start. Start exploring and planning your trip to the Tour du Mont Blanc to change your life and start your adventure today!