A Chinese woman, known as Miss Zhao, chose to take matters into her own hands rather than let airport security confiscate her excess of allotted liquids. Miss Zhao was confronted at airport security in Beijing attempting to bring a bottle of imported Cognac past the gates. Rather than forfeit the bottle, which clearly exceeded the standard 100ml of liquids allowed, she proceeded to down the entire bottle in a corner.

Zhao, who is reportedly in her forties, was scheduled to take a noon flight at Beijing Capital International Airport and then transfer to Wenzhou. Yet when she was stopped at the security checkpoint with an entire bottle of Rémy Martin XO Excellence, listed at $200, in her carry-on, she "sat down in a corner and drank the entire bottle of Cognac herself."


According to the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA), when traveling with large containers of liquids, travelers should take the item to the ticket counter and check them in there or ask for a box that may be provided by the airport to ship the items. If someone is seeing you off, you can leave the banned item with them or if you have parked outside, you can leave the item in your car.

The rules relating to liquids were instituted in 2006. The TSA allows a 3.4 ounce, or 100ml, bottle or less by volume, per carry-on, which should be kept in a one quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag. The one-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each passenger can travel with. When in doubt, you should put your liquids in your checked luggage. Larger liquids like medications, baby formula, food, and breast milk are allowed in sensible quantities over three ounces and do not have to be put in a zip-top bag. These items should be declared for inspection at the security checkpoint and officers may need to open items for additional screening.

RELATED: Drunk Passenger With A Blow-Up Doll Force Emergency Landing On Flight To Ibiza

Unsurprisingly, after chugging the entire bottle of cognac, Zhao began "acting wildly and yelling incoherently." She then fell on the floor where she remained until the police arrived. She was not allowed to board her flight and was picked up by her family after she managed to somewhat sober up. A security officer was reported as saying that she was so inebriated that she couldn’t even stand up on her own. She had to be carted off in a wheelchair to rest.

The TSA says its officers would prefer not to confiscate valuable items but will do so if left no other choice.