Not all trips are the same. While many are regular, some are life-changing and worth experiencing. There are so many of these trips around the world one can experience, but such trips do not always have to be in faraway countries and across continents. The US also has these types of trips. With its long history, interesting cultures, unique landscape, and diverse people, there are so many things one can do in the country that are capable of transforming a person. For those seeking this experience, here are 10 life-changing trips to take that might even be in your US backyard.
10 See The Northern Lights In Alaska
The colorful display of the Northern Lights works wonders on a person’s mind, which is why they are worth visiting. When it comes to where to see the mesmerizing colors, Alaska holds its own against destinations like Iceland and Norway. Fairbanks in Alaska is where these colors are best seen, and the best time to see them is from August through April, when the nights are longer. There are many accommodations worth booking the night at in Fairbanks, Alaska.
- Accommodation: Westmark Fairbanks Hotel & Conference Center
- Address: 813 Noble Street, Fairbanks, AK 99701
- Why you should book: Centrally located, business center, laundry services, 24-hour front desk.
9 Go White Water Rafting On the Colorado River
White water rafting is exciting, but not all rivers offer the kind of experience offered by the Colorado River. The river stretches through the Grand Canyon, allowing adventurers to ride through one of the most magnificent geological formations on earth while battling some exciting rapids. It's worth staying the night at an accommodation around the Colorado River.
- Accommodation: Days Inn & Suites by Wyndham Page Lake Powell
- Address: 961 North Highway 89, Page, AZ 86040
- Why you should book: High-speed internet, free light breakfast, gift shop, seasonal outdoor swimming pool.
8 Explore New York City
If there’s one life-changing thing worth experiencing, it's spending a day in a city with crowded streets, frustrating traffic, deafening noise, delicious food, stunning hotels, and interesting attractions. This is exactly what one will get in the city of New York. While in the city, check out the Statue of Liberty, take a river cruise, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and climb the Empire State Building for a unique view of the city.
- Accommodation: The Belvedere Hotel
- Address: 319 West 48th Street, New York, NY 10036
- Why you should book: Centrally located, 24-hour business center, express check-out.
7 Hike Kalalau Trail
Nobody experiences the Kalalau Trail, and it remains the same. This trail is one of the hardest in the United States, stretching for 11 miles and featuring scary cliffs and dangerous bends. But despite the difficulty of the trail, it features beautiful views of the lush landscape of the Island of Kauai. Throughout the fall, adventurers will come across waterfalls, beaches, and the dramatic coastline that surrounds the island. Due to the dangers associated with the trail, adventurers are only advised to hike the trail during summer months when the treacherous trail is dry, as slippery rocks can be extremely dangerous. There are many accommodations to book on the beautiful island of Kauai.
- Accommodation: The Kauai Inn
- Address: 2430 Hulemalu Road, Lihue, Kaua'i, HI 96766
- Why you should book: 24-hour front desk, express check-out, and luggage storage.
6 Experience The Thrills Of Roller Coasters In Florida
There are many roller coasters in the United States, but Florida has some of the fastest. From the Incredible Hulk in Universal’s Island of Adventure with a speed of 67 mph to Expedition Everest in Disney’s Animal Kingdom with a speed of 61 mph, there are so many roller coasters worth experiencing in Florida. Universal Studios is perhaps the best place to enjoy this life-changing trip, but one can also experience those in Walt Disney World Resort and SeaWorld Orlando. It's worth booking a stay at one of the iconic resorts in Florida.
- Accommodation: Waldorf Astoria Orlando
- Address: 14200 Bonnet Creek Resort Lane, Orlando, FL 32821
- Why you should book: Full-service spa, 2 outdoor pools, and 12 restaurants.
5 Ride On The Pacific Coast Highway
The Pacific Coast Highway is arguably the most scenic road trip one can experience in the world, and it's right in the US. This road stretches for more than a total distance of 1,657 miles and takes one through the states of Washington., Oregon, and California while offering picturesque views of the Pacific Ocean. While one does not need to ride the entire road to enjoy the life-changing experience, it is recommended to experience all of the highways from Seattle to Portland, Cresent City, San Francisco, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, and ending in San Diego. This trip can take well over five days to complete, but it’s worth it. It's worth booking a stay at an iconic hotel in Santa Barbara.
- Accommodation: Simpson House Inn
- Address: 121 East Arrellaga Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
- Why you should book: Centrally located, multilingual staff, laundry services.
4 Explore Redwood National Park
Redwood National Park is home to unique natural attractions that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. The park is home to the tallest trees in the world. Besides the Redwood trees, the park also features giant sequoia trees and some unique wildlife, such as the Roosevelt elk and whales. Besides hiking through the lush forest trails and hugging the giant trees, adventurers at Redwood National Park can camp, experience scenic drives, and watch whales in the Klamath River Overlook. There are many accommodations one can book around Redwood National Park.
- Accommodation: Best Western Plus Northwoods Inn
- Address: 655 US Highway 101 S, Crescent City, CA 95531-4416
- Why you should book: Indoor heated swimming pool, a complimentary Hot Buffet Breakfast, free high-speed Internet access.
3 Visit The Happiest Place On Earth
Disneyland in Anaheim is not nicknamed the “happiest place on earth” for nothing. From beautiful castles to delicious food, thrilling rides, and sights of different funny Disney characters, Disneyland is one of the most exciting places one can visit in the United States for a life-changing experience. It's worth staying at one of the iconic hotels in or around Disneyland, Anaheim.
- Accommodation: The Westin Anaheim Resort
- Address: 1030 West Katella Avenue, Anaheim, CA 92802
- Why you should book: Rooftop bar, outdoor pool, restaurant, valet parking
2 Visit Yellowstone National Park
A visit to Yellowstone National Park is an opportunity to witness stunning wildlife and some of the country’s most unique natural creations. Wildlife that can be seen in the park include Grizzly bears, gray wolves, and bison. While in Yellowstone, also check out the Old Faithful geyser and the impressive Mammoth Hot spring. Camping, kayaking, and road tripping are some more activities that one can enjoy in this park. With such opportunities for adventures, a visit to Yellowstone is sure to be life-changing. There are also many accommodation options to consider for a stay in or near Yellowstone.
- Accommodation: Yellowstone Gateway Inn
- Address: 103 Bigelow Lane, Gardiner, MT 59030
- Why you should book: Free WiFi, streaming service, pets allowed on request
1 Complete The Appalachian Trail
The Appalachian Trail is the longest hiking-only trail in the world, stretching for approximately 2,200 miles through several states in the eastern US. With such a length, it may seem an impossible task to finish, but people from all over the world come to complete the trail every year. Most of the people who complete the hike spend an average of 165 days hiking the trail, but it can be longer. No one who completes this trail remains the same physically and mentally. There are many hotels to stay at the nights when hiking the Appalachian Trail.