With nearly 2 million hectares full of unequaled wildlife, Kruger National Park is a must-visit for all animal-loving travelers. Home to all five of Africa’s Big Five and the best place in the world to catch sight of a leopard, travelers will have a plate full of adventure during their time here.
Adventure comes at a cost, though, and exactly there are more than a couple of ways to go about planning a budget for a trip to Kruger National Park. So here’s a look at the cost of a safari, the stay, and more.
Travel To Kruger National Park's Cost
Travel costs can obviously vary depending on where travelers are starting off from. So this guide will primarily focus on the options travelers have for reaching Kruger National Park from O.R. Tambo International Airport.
There are three main options to get to Kruger once they land. The options are to drive or taxi the four and a half hours to the park, take an internal flight from Johannesburg to Kruger Mpumalanga airport and then drive or taxi for an hour, or take an internal flight from Johannesburg directly to Skukuza.
Driving/Taxiing from O.R. Tambo International Airport
Travelers just arriving in South Africa may not have access to a car and may not want to rent a car as it won’t be used for much of this trip. This means that travelers will likely wish to taxi the distance. City Airport Taxis offers two different services to help travelers out. They are a two-passenger sedan and a seven-passenger van. Travelers who wish to rent a car can still choose to do so as well.
- 2 Passenger Sedan - 10,468 ZAR (622.91 USD)
- 7 Passenger Van - 22,485 ZAR (1337.99 USD)
- Car Rental - Avis ($72.42/day to $420.77/day)
- The Route
Taking an Internal Flight from Johannesburg to Kruger Mpumalanga Airport
This route will get travelers a bit closer to the park than from O.R. Tambo International Airport, but it does require an extra transfer. The price for a flight to Kruger Mpumalanga Airport can usually be found in the 200s range in terms of USD. Also, a transfer to the park from this airport can come as cheap as $54.27. In total, this option is usually cheaper than traveling directly from O.R. Tambo International Airport.
Taking an Internal Flight From Johannesburg Directly to Skukuza
This is the most direct way to reach Kruger National Park and perhaps the cheapest as flights can be found from $146 to $322, and there is no need for travelers to find separate transport to reach the park.
- Direct Flight - $146-$322
Cost Of Staying At Kruger National Park
The part assesses daily fees for visitors and their will, of course, be the costs for where travelers can stay while in the park. Costs for these lodgings can vary quite a bit depending on the time of the year; however, here are some numbers to keep in mind. The average cost of a hotel room for a couple per night is $105 USD, camps will cost around $35 USD per night, and luxury accommodation can easily cost hundreds.
- South African Citizens and Residents (with ID) - 110 ZAR (6.55 USD) per adult, per day / 55 ZAR (3.27 USD) per child, per day
- SADC Nationals (with passport) - 220 ZAR (13.09 USD) per adult, per day / 110 ZAR (6.55 USD) per child, per day
- Standard Conservation Fee (International Visitors) - R440 ZAR (26.18 USD) per adult, per day / 220 ZAR (13.09 USD) per child, per day
- Camping - Sites for caravans or tents – most have power (except Balule and some at Punda Maria). Sites at lower Sabie have designated boundaries and own water taps.
- Hut - Single room units with communal kitchen and communal ablution facilities.
- Safari Tent - Permanent canvas tent bedrooms on permanent platforms. Some have communal kitchens and communal ablution facilities, while others are fully equipped and have more luxurious trimmings.
- Bungalow - Single bedroom units with a bathroom. Some have communal kitchens, while others have their own kitchenettes with basic kitchen equipment. Some bungalows have perimeter or river views, while others have been upgraded to luxury status.
- Cottage - Single bedroom units with living room, bathroom, and kitchen.
- Family Cottage - Multiple bedroom units with a living room, bathroom, and kitchen.
- Guest Cottage - Multiple bedroom units with at least two bathrooms, of which one is en-suite. Fully equipped kitchen.
- Guest House - Multiple bedrooms and bathroom units with lounge area and often with bar facility and exclusive view.
- Luxury Lodges - These exclusive private lodges, with a unique style and atmosphere, form part of a suite of products known as SANParks "Golden Kudus," where luxury is the order of the day.
Cost Of Safari At Kruger National Park
Costs of Safaris at Kruger National Park are also highly subject to current season and demand. All of their prices are subject to availability and may change without notice. For the most current rates and special offers, travelers should request a quote or speak to one of our African Safari Specialists. That being said, the moderately low-priced 3-Day Relaxing Kruger Safari Experience costs about $937.22 compared to the 3-Day Romantic Escape to Kruger Park, which costs about $2,555.79.