The beautiful city of Atlanta is one of the most vibrant cities in the United States. Travelers visiting the country often have a slew of activities to enjoy ranging from exploring the rich Atlanta Botanical Garden to seeing the High Museum of Art. But the best part of this capital city of Georgia is its streets and the food they present. A visit to the city is incomplete without an exploration of the city’s eats not just for the affordability and the abundance but also for the diversity they present.
To some, the amazing food stage may seem too good to be true therefore to make it more understandable, here’s what makes Atlanta one of the best street food destinations in the United States.
Atlanta's Diverse Population and Different Cultures
The large migrant population of Atlanta is the main reason for the city’s incredible diversity. This diversity can be seen in other things such as - arts and fashion but is most evident in the city's street food. The diverse population of the city is what makes the food more appealing as one can expect different types of dishes from Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Filipino, Korean, and lots of other cultures. To get a detailed exploration of the city’s street food, one may have to set aside specific days to taste food from the different cultures in this diverse city because there's only so much the stomach can hold at a time.
Different cultures are concentrated in different parts of the city. Buford Highway for instance is one of the most diverse parts of Atlanta close to the city center. This stretch of the road presents one of the most extensive lists of flavors in the entire city due to the diverse cultures it hosts. So expect each culture to serve its unique flavors in the streets, markets, food trucks, and restaurants across this highway and other parts of the city as well.
Lots Of Atlanta Food Trucks
Food trucks offer a flexible way of providing food services. Imagine food cooked on wheels and then brought to you - that’s what these vehicles offer. In Atlanta, food trucks are essential parts of the city’s street food experience. It's almost like there’s food to eat at every corner of the city. Where there are no restaurants, food trucks are surely there offering amazing food diversity. There’s Asian, Latin American, and even Greek cuisine to enjoy in these roaming kitchens. Their mobility even makes them the number one choice for many events so expect to see them in these types of gatherings across the city especially food festivals (obviously).
Some popular food trucks to keep an eye for in the city include:
- Tex’s Tacos - A food truck that specializes in southern Tex Mex.
- Yumbii Food Truck - The first food truck in Atlanta that presents delicious chicken tacos, burritos, sesame fries, and unique barbecues. It is arguably the best food truck in Atlanta.
- Cafe Bourbon Street - A food truck offering dishes characterized by the Cajun and Creole cuisine of New Orleans.
Epic Food Festivals In Atlanta
Food festivals are the most anticipated events in Atlanta as it gives people the opportunity to feed their hungry stomachs while enjoying delicious wine and amazing music. The different themes of the food festivals even make them more interesting. In other words, just like music festivals focus on certain genres such as rock or jazz, food festivals in Atlanta also focus on different food such as - seafood or barbecue so people attending the festival know exactly what to expect.
So many food festivals have been scheduled for different times of the year and these are the most popular ones on the list. For a full list of the food festivals, check out the food festival listing webpage.
- Atlanta Food & Wine Festival - For an extensive list of food offerings from the various cultures in Atlanta and the South as well. The next date for this event is September 2022.
- Taste Of Marietta - Arguably the largest food festival in Atlanta presenting a wide range of food offerings. The next date for this event is April 24, 2022.
- Beer, Bourbon & Barbecue Festival - For the delicious barbeque, lots of beer, and bourbons. The next date for this event is February 26, 2022.
- Oyster Crawfish - A taste of seafood. The next date for this event is March 5, 2022.
Atlanta's Diverse Farmers Market
It can be said that Atlanta owes its amazing food offerings to the lots of farmers' markets within the city. The market also offers a variety of options for some intense food exploration. Besides the numerous dishes offered by the different cultures that make up the city, the fruits and fresh produce in the market also make up a huge part of the experience at these farmer's markets.
Some noteworthy farmers markets to explore in this city include:
- Peachtree Road Farmers Market - A mecca for fresh food as well as processed foods such as bread, pastries, and cheese.
- Buford Highway Farmers Market - One of the largest farmer's markets in Georgia featuring an extensive list of fresh produce and fruits. Besides the fresh produce, the market presents lots of international delicacies, unique ingredients, herbs, and cooking classes as well. The market is so big that one could spend the entire day browsing through the endless list of items displayed on the stalls.
- Freedom Farmers Market - For a wide variety of locally grown food and some entertainment as well.