South Florida is the perfect all-year-round vacation spot—and though sunny skies and warm weather may be the reason to go, it’s definitely the fun vibes and plethora of famed tourist destinations that steal the show. From the Keys and the Everglades; to the beaches and nightlife of Miami and the historic harbor and fun of Tampa, there are plenty of opportunities for both adventure and relaxation here in the Sunshine State’s most southern spots.
And while theme parks and beaches are definitely top reasons to visit, there is another up-and-coming attraction that’s making a splash in South FL—the craft beer scene. In recent years, the region's hops IQ has risen with an impressive lineup of fresh and creative brewers—many of which are in South Florida. And with summer just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to get to know some of the area’s best bastions of brewing; the hottest spots for sippin’ on seasonal brews while basking in the FL sun.
Heady Brews In A Haute Setting At Barrel Of Monks
Belgian-inspired brews served in a swanky tasting room complete with chandelier and plush, elegant seating make a visit to Barrel of Monks Brewing a more refined tasting experience; but don’t let that fool you—this Boca Raton brewery is about both style and substance with their creatively delish Belgian lineup. Imported native grains and hops add authenticity, while state-of-the-art brewing techniques bring a modern (yet still monkish) flair to the diverse array of complex brews.
- Address: 1141 S Rogers Circle #5, Boca Raton
- Hours: Monday through Thursday 4 PM-10 PM, Friday 4 PM-11 PM, Saturday 12 PM-11 PM, Sunday 12 PM-5 PM
- Food: Onsite food truck Cheffrey Eats serves up a selection of mouthwatering pub fare that pairs well with a pint (or three)
- Give It A Taste: The Wizard (Wit); Endless Enigma (Belgian Pale Ale); Three Fates (Belgian-style Tripel)
- Tours: Yes (currently unavailable, check website for updates)
A Presidential Pint At Lincoln’s Beard Brewing Co.
Get weird at the beard should be the catchphrase of this hip Miami brewery dedicated to the 16th president of the U.S. Wood-paneled and chic with a kitschy charm all its own, there are nods to Honest Abe throughout this fun spot—and the surfaces covered in pennies are just the beginning. But there’s more than meets the eye here than just a gimmick; as Lincoln’s Beard is sure to delight with their inventive and award-winning lineup.
- Address: 7360 SW 41st St, Miami
- Hours: Monday and Tuesday 4 PM-11 PM, Wednesday and Friday 4 PM-1 AM, Thursday 4 PM-12 AM, Saturday 12 PM-1 AM, Sunday 12 PM-9 PM
- Food: No
- Give It A Taste: Lawyers Don’t Surf Hazy IPA; Lincoln’s Best Blonde Ale; Leberwurst Dunkel Lager
- Tours: No
Craft Brews, Great Times: The Funky Buddha Brewing Company
The self-described “funkiest place on Earth,” Funky Buddha Brewing Company, is one of Ft. Lauderdale’s most fun places to chill out and dig the casual pub vibes served with a side of funky Floridian brews. The largest craft microbrewery in South Florida, Funky Buddha’s bold brews are influenced by their Oakland Parks location smack dab in Ft. Lauderdale’s Culinary Arts District, so definitely expect some big flavors here.
- Address: 1201 NE 38th St, Oakland Park
- Hours: Monday through Wednesday 11:30 AM-10 PM, Thursday 11:30 AM-11 PM, Friday and Saturday 11:30 PM-12 AM, Sunday 11:30 AM-9 PM
- Food: Yes, the onsite restaurant serves up brunch, lunch, and dinner consisting of delicious sammies, creative pub fare, and more
- Give It A Taste: Vibin’ (Lager-Helles); Floridian (Wheat Beer-Hefeweizen); El Camino Haze (NEIPA, limited release)
- Tours: Yes
Miami’s Summer Vibes On Tap At Veza Sur Brewing Co.
With a focus on “sessionable cervezas perfect for Miami’s everlasting summer, Veza Sur Brewing Co. and their lineup of fresh, Latin American-inspired brews are cooler than cool. And the colorful vibes don’t stop with the beer, as the eclectic and fun atmosphere both in the tasting room and on the patio is the perfect way to enjoy a memorable Miami moment in the sun. Bonus points for their inventive beer cocktail list filled with epic sippers to enjoy between pints.
- Address: 55 NW 25th St, Miami
- Hours: Tuesday through Thursday 12 PM-12 AM, Friday and Saturday 12 PM-1 AM, Sunday 12 PM-12 AM, Closed Mondays
- Food: Yes, onsite food truck Chi-Fe serves up super delish Chino-Peruvian street fare (try the Alitas!)
- Give It A Taste: Mangolandia (Mango Wheat Ale); Lulu Sour (Berliner Weisse Sour Ale); Chismosa (Raspberry Wheat Ale, seasonal)
- Tours: Yes
A Taste Of Tampa At Angry Chair Brewing
One of the frontrunners in an up-and-coming Tampa craft beer scene, Angry Chair Brewing brings the goods—from decadent stouts to pucker-up sours (and everything in between). With both a brewery and a barrelhouse, Angry Chair prides itself on its forward-thinking, experimental brews that push the envelope when it comes to fab Florida flavor. Their chill taproom is also a great place to hang, too.
- Address: 6401 N Florida Ave, Tampa
- Hours: Monday through Wednesday 4 PM-10 PM, Thursday 2 PM-10 PM, Friday and Saturday 12 PM-10 PM, Sunday 12 PM-9 PM
- Food: No (but guests can order delivery from local spots)
- Give It A Taste: Adjunct Trail (Double Milk Imperial Stout); Two Pump Chimp (Coffee Porter); Under New Management (Sour, Smoothie/Pastry)
- Tours: No
Though the craft beer scene in South Florida is a relatively new phenomenon, it hasn’t wasted any time making a name for itself with a bustling bevy of breweries that are perfect for summer sipping. And since it is still South FL, visitors can expect great beers, great company, and chill vibes a-plenty at these eclectic brewery spots that really know how to show their visitors a Sunshine State-worthy rollicking good time.