Ford transformed the modern industrial world with its assembly lines, efficiency, and bringing down the costs of cars so that average people could afford a personal vehicle. Ford has long been one of the icons of American industrial power and the wealth of America's middle class. Its River Rouge Factory is a place that spans America's mighty industrial history in the age of the automobile.
The Ford Rouge Factory Tour is a great way to see how this happened, how Ford innovated, how the Rust Belt formed, and its complex history with unions. This is the factory where the parts of the legendary Model T were built and is the site of the beloved American pickup truck, the Ford F-150. Touring this important and historic factory is one of the most rewarding things to do in Detriot.
About The Ford River Rouge Complex
The Ford River Rouge Complex was built in 1917 and completed in 1928. At that time it was the largest integrated factory in the world. It is considered important to the industry and economic growth of the United States that led it to become the juggernaut of WW2 and after. It served as the design plan for many other mega factories around the world for many years after it was built.
- Where: Detroit, Michigan
- Record: When Built, The Largest Integrated Factory In The World
- Designated: National Historic Landmark District In 1978
Ford Rouge Factory Tours
The Ford Rouge Factory Tours are open every week, but the capacity is very limited so it is recommended that everyone purchase advance tickets online.
- Tip: Plan Ahead As Capacity is Limited
- Open: Monday to Saturday
In the tour, one will gain insight into the making of America's most popular and most iconic truck - the Ford F-150. The Ford F-series has been America's best-selling truck for 44 years. Learn how Ford's first production in this factory, all the way to today. Immerse oneself in the modern manufacturing concepts and sustainability for the future.
See how things are now almost unrecognizable from the past. The tour will take people to a scale of a real factory floor. See the all-new aluminum body of the Ford F-150 and the ingenuity of the engineering behind it.
The tour will take one on a time wrap as one learns how the manufacturing was, how it is, and how it will be. Sit back in F-150's multisensory Manufacturing Innovation film complete with vibrating seats, gusts of winds, winking robots, and 3D projection mapping.
Today the world is changing and companies like Ford must innovate to survive. The world of gasoline and diesel internal combustion engines is spluttering it's last (basically no car companies are investing in developing them anymore).
In three years' time, it will be illegal to sell gasoline or diesel vehicles in Norway. In California, new sales will be banned in about 13 years. Last year Tesla's stock price skyrocketed to become the most valuable car company in the world. See how Ford is investing in electric vehicles to survive at a time when the auto industry is undergoing a massive revolution.
Ford F-150 Lightning
- EPA Range: 230-300 Miles
- Deliveries: Expected In Spring 2022
- Power Outtage: Can Reverse Power One's Home For Up To 3 Days If There's A Blackout
It has been reported that Ford's first all-electric truck, the Ford F-150 Lightning would be produced at their new Rouge Electric Vehicle Center. For those looking to go on a road trip, these are the top-rated vehicles depending on the journey.
Ford Rouge Factory Tour
- General Admission: $19.00
- Senior: $17.25 (Aged 62 and Over)
- Youth: $14.25 (Aged 5 to 11)
- Hours: 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Note: The Last Tour Leaves at 3 p.m.
This is a five-part tour with the final assembly area being an exciting part of one of them. Sometimes the tours are on non-production dates for the Dearborn Truck Assembly Line. Production varies by vehicle demand and some tours are held when they are not building vehicles. Production hours are inconsistent and The Henry Ford does not control when trucks are being produced. More information is to be found on their website.
- Note: They Cannot Guarantee On Will See The Assemble Line In Full Operation
The Ford Rouge Factory Tour is not the only attraction here. Also visit their:
- Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation: A Museum Dedicated To Past Innovations That Fuel The Imagination of Generations To Come. American Innovation From Ford To The Wright Brothers
- Greenfield Village: Experience The Sights, Sounds, And Sensations From Working Farms To Model T Rides, To The Wright Brother's Workshop
- Giant Screen Experience: Some Of The Most Entertaining And Enlightening Stories Of America's Past, Present, And Future