www.thetravel.com

Couple Dies From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Airbnb While Vacationing In Mexico

A couple vacationing in Mexico both passed away from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty heater in the Airbnb they were staying in.

There are a number of services and apps that have popped up and taken off over the last few years that have changed our lives and, for the most part, made them a lot easier. Companies such as Netflix, Uber, and Deliveroo have changed the ways in which we approach a number of things.

You can also add Airbnb to that list. The service allows people to rent out houses, apartments, rooms and otherwise. More importantly, it allows those looking for somewhere to stay with an option other than what can be an expensive hotel room. Also, if you have used Airbnb in the past, you'll know what an easy and smooth process it is the majority of the time.

Via: abc7ny.com

RELATED: 20 AIRBNB REVIEWS THEY WANT TO KEEP HIDDEN FROM CUSTOMERS (BUT CAN'T)

What you don't get with Airbnb is the assurance that you are staying somewhere that is completely up to scratch when it comes to rules and regulations. That has become evident via the tragic story of Edward Winders and Barbara Moller. The couple was staying at a residence they discovered via Airbnb in Mexico last month. However, just two days into their vacation, they passed away from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The deadly gas had been emitted into the Airbnb residence via a faulty heater, reports USA Today. Since carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, there is often no way of knowing you're breathing it in until it's too late. According to Eric Winders, Edward Winders' son, his dad and his step-mom were in Mexico doing charity work and looking for somewhere to live part-time.

Eric Winder is hoping that this incident will spur Airbnb on to put some sort of inspection process in place when it comes to properties under its banner. "Airbnb is a leader in the hospitality and vacation rental world, we would like to call on them to create an inspection system within their platform," Winder said in a statement. He and his family have also set up a GoFundMe page to help cover the expenses involved with bringing his dad and stepmom's bodies back to their home in New Orleans.

READ NEXT: NO ADDRESS, NO PROBLEM: BOOKING A STAY WITH A REINDEER HERDING TRIBE ON AIRBNB IS NOW POSSIBLE

If You're Super Rich, You Can 'Buy' A Second Or Even Third Passport From Other Countries

More in Uncategorized