It’s never too early to think about spring getaways—even travelers who don’t live in places still in the throes of winter’s deep freeze inevitably enjoy thinking of ways to celebrate the return of spring and the season of new beginnings.
And while Spring Break is a veritable institution, not everyone is clamoring to head to Florida or California’s busiest beaches at one of the absolute craziest times of the year. So where is an intrepid traveler to go for a bright and beautiful retreat that has SPRING written all over it?
Why Visit Carlsbad This Spring?
While it may not be a Spring Break household name, Carlsbad, California has some of the most scenic spring sights to welcome the return of the birds and the bees—in the form of its brightly colored, flower-covered hills.
Located just a short drive from San Diego, Carlsbad is a lovely coastal town that’s a welcome getaway from the city—chock full of year-round attractions and outdoor experiences amongst its beautiful beaches and majestic mountains, there’s certainly plenty of reasons to visit this lovely town any time of year.
But every Spring, Carlsbad bursts into bloom with some of the most stunning shades this side of the Netherlands tulip fields; showcasing a plethora of riotous reds, sunny yellows, perfect pinks, and every other rainbow-hued color under the sun at The Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch.
About The Flower Fields
The Northern San Diego spot has been famous for welcoming spring for the past 60 years with a show of brightly colored Giant Tecolote Ranunculus flowers—50-acres of technicolor flora that’s the perfect place to say hello to the spring season.
- Where It’s At: 5704 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad CA
- When To Go: Though the season begins in early March, the flowers typically reach their peak bloom time in April, which lasts approximately 6-8 weeks. The 2022 season runs from March through May 9 and the ranch is open 9 AM-6 PM daily
- What To Do There: During the peak season, the ranch hosts a number of events and activities. however, the setting is so stunning, visitors need only pack a lunch; take some IG-worthy pics, and soak up the splendor that is the surrounding flower fields
- Get Tickets: Tickets are available online for the 2022 season beginning in March. Activities and events may require additional tickets. Day passes are $20 for Adults; $18 for Seniors 60+; $10 for children aged 3-10. Season tickets are also available
Fun Events At The Flower Fields
Come for the flowers, stay for all the fun and exciting events—every year, The Flower Fields offers visitors the unique experience of seeing some of the most colorful spring flowers in the country along with a myriad of fun activities that make this trip more than just a spot to scope beautiful blooms. Learn more about the Fields’ monthly events and activities here.
- Take an Open-Air Wagon Ride through the fields and learn about the history of the lovely Carlsbad Ranch
- Head to the ranch’s blueberry patch for some seasonal berry picking
- Take a scenic stroll through the 1500-square foot poinsettia greenhouse, featuring hundreds of flowers, including over 20 rare varieties
- The Flower Fields also has a number of family-friendly activities including the Sweet Pea Maze, the Butterfly Garden, and the Demonstration Garden
- Grab a slice at the Pizza Trolley or ice cream at Sweet Swirls Ice Cream
Grab A Bite In Carlsbad
While visitors can grab a snack and a slice while visiting The Flower Fields, there are no actual restaurants on-site. However, the town of Carlsbad does have plenty of winning food options that make it easy to finish off a day at the fields with a stellar meal in the “Village by the Sea.”
- One of the most popular restaurants in Carlsbad, Campfire has a reputation for being a happening spot filled with California-inspired cuisine as unique as the state itself 2725 State Street
- Sample some of Carlsbad’s best bites from burgers to street tacos all under one roof at the Windmill Food Hall—and don’t forget to get a pic of the replica Danish windmill while you’re there. 890 Palomar Airport Rd
- A fresh sushi bar serving up the fresh flavors of the ocean and the fire of the traditional robata grill, Blue Ocean is the place to be for a uniquely delish dinner in Carlsbad 2958 Madison Street
- The Compass takes pub food to the next level with its inventive and eclectic menu and hip, bustling vibes—it also has one of the coolest cocktail menus around 300 Carlsbad Village Dr. #202
Stay The Night In Carlsbad
With all the fun things happening at The Flower Fields, it may take more than one day to see and do it all—and Carlsbad has the perfect accommodations for those who want to make a weekend (or week!) long getaway out of their spring break sojourn to this enchanting coastal town.
- Carlsbad has its share of gorgeous resorts, but the new Westin Carlsbad Resort & Spa may end up being the crown jewel of them all with its luxe amenities and stellar views—it even has its own private entrance to LEGOLAND California Rates $195 and up/night
- Want to be within walking distance of The Flower Fields? Then set up camp at the lovely Carlsbad by the Sea Hotel. Bonus for the heated outdoor pool! Rates $182 and up/night
- Carlsbad isn’t the only area coastal spot worth a look—just a short 10-minute drive away is the lovely town of Oceanside, home to the chic and cozy Green Room Hotel 2020 S Coast Hwy, Oceanside
While Carlsbad, California may not have the spring break reputation of places like Miami Beach and Lake Tahoe, the city’s Flower Fields make it a unique getaway for those looking to welcome spring with some of the most colorful flowers this side of the Netherlands tulip fields. And it’s not just flowers at the fields—it’s fun activities and events that make the peak season oh-so-special at the Carlsbad Ranch. So this spring, head to Carlsbad for a relaxing vacay filled with rainbow colors and relaxing vibes in this lovely coastal CA town.