Sometimes it’s nice to just get away from it all—to find a relaxing haven surrounded by nature and refresh the body, mind, and spirit. However, unplugging and getting back to nature doesn’t mean sacrificing those creature comforts that are often the cornerstone of a laid-back, restorative retreat—sometimes, it’s possible to find the perfect balance of remote wilderness and super pampering perks, too.
And the following stunning spots are some of the most idyllic ways for vacationers to immerse themselves in nature without roughing it—think upscale lodges and glamping gems; starkly beautiful and, most importantly, tucked away treasures that may not be a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life—but with their top amenities; breathtaking locales; and abundance of activities, they might as well be on another planet.
An Awe-Inspiring Alaskan Chalet
For those truly looking to get off the grid in an unforgettable back-to-nature destination, there’s no better place than Sheldon Chalet. Nestled among Alaska’s dramatic Don Sheldon Amphitheater on Ruth’s Glacier, this remote retreat is located in one of The Last Frontier state’s most breathtaking settings, Denali National Park. Here, epic outdoor adventures by day pair perfectly with dreamy, starkly beautiful AK nights—all in this luxe, exclusive lodging.
- Where It’s At: Denali National Park, Don Sheldon Amphitheater, Talkeetna, Alaska
- Hotel Amenities: All-inclusive experience includes inbound/outbound helicopter sightseeing tour from Talkeetna or Anchorage; meals prepared by a world-class chef; use of outdoor apparel and gear and guided exploration of Don Sheldon Amphitheater (including Glacier School instruction); sauna with Denali views; outdoor fire pit; observation deck; plush rooms with luxe amenities
- Room Rates: The Chalet stay is an exclusive, all-inclusive private experience for up to ten guests for a minimum of three nights/four days. To inquire about rates, contact the hotel directly at (907)-773-2414
- Things To Do: Experiences vary by season but include stargazing (star and meteor shower, aurora borealis); glacier treks and adventures; avalanche viewing; backcountry skiing (additional charges apply); ice and rock climbing; rappelling; sledding
A CA Cliff Side Coastal Dream
A rugged retreat with panoramic views of the Pacific in a stunning, natural setting awaits guests of the mountain-meets-sea marvel of the Post Ranch Inn. With its big-time Big Sur vibes and dramatic seaside views, this resort is perfect for maxing and relaxing—but don’t sleep on its plethora of recreational activities. Meant to create an immersive, all-natural experience, this CA gem balances outdoor fun with its scenic, sumptuous setting to create an unforgettable resort retreat.
- Where It’s At: 47900 Highway 1, Big Sur, California
- Hotel Amenities: Onsite spa and wellness activities; Heated infinity spa pools overlooking the Pacific; Heated lap pool; cliff side, farm-to-table Sierra Mar restaurant; mountain/ocean/forest views; daily breakfast. Other amenities vary by accommodation but may include an indoor or outdoor fireplace; indoor/outdoor soaking/spa tubs; fireplaces; private deck.
- Room Rates: Rates vary by lodging but start at about $1650 and up/night
- Things To Do: Guided nature walks; morning yoga; forest meditation; edible garden tour; guided art walk; sound journey meditation; falconry (extra fees apply); explore the Big Sur coastline
A Red Rock Rimmed Retreat
Arizona may be famed for its dreamy desert spas and restorative resorts, but the Sedona stunner Amara Resort & Spa takes that starkly beautiful signature atmosphere and takes it to another level. With their red rock-rimmed oasis surrounded by improbably lush greenery, the resort’s self-described “tree lodge” aesthetic is sophisticate, social, and scenic—almost like an elevated summer camp for adults, complete with upscale, resort-retreat vibes.
- Where It’s At: 100 Amara Lane, Sedona, Arizona
- Hotel Amenities: Onsite Amara Spa and fitness center; famed SaltRock Kitchen; Zero-edge infinity pool; Creekside and patio accommodations; Red rock/courtyard views; Valet parking; Cozy, renovated rooms and in-room amenities; Patio/balcony.
- Room Rates: Rates vary by lodging but start at $204 and up/night
- Things To Do: Explore downtown Sedona; Open-Air Jeep tour; Private hike experience; Private yoga and meditation; Golf at Oak Creek Country Club; Bike rides (free use of bikes is included with stay)
A Glamping Getaway, Maine-Style
The remote forests and mountains of marvelous Maine make for some of the most idyllic destinations for travelers to get in touch with nature—and, just 20 minutes from the Pine Tree State’s famous Acadia National Park sits a resort just waiting to welcome guests into the wilderness. A deluxe glamping getaway packed with outdoor fun and woodsy nighttime activities, the Terramor Outdoor Resort Bar Harbor is an amenity-filled, exciting retreat where going remote doesn’t mean sacrificing socializing—but where private moments of introspection and relaxation feel right at home, too.
- Where It’s At: 1453 ME-102, Bar Harbor, Maine
- Hotel Amenities: Pool and hot tub; Onsite restaurant/bar; Curated outdoor grilling experiences (reservations required); Take-and-explore packed lunches; Outdoor deck and fire pit (lodge); complimentary morning yoga; tents complete with electricity and Wi-Fi; private fire and seating; secluded outdoor shower (Hemlock Tent); private bathroom and shower room
- Room Rates: Rates vary by tent type but generally start around $400 and up/night
- Things To Do: Hike Acadia National Park; Explore Bar Harbor and nearby seaside villages; Stroll the expansive property; Birdwatch; A variety of schedules and pop-up hotel and restaurant events (see calendar for more details); Stargaze.
a getaway into the wilderness: nature’s own retreat, where civilization seems a million miles away. But going off the grid doesn’t mean sacrificing either comfort or activities, and these back-to-nature escapes make it easy to soak up the scenery with all the comforts of home. From luxe amenities and relaxing wellness perks to epic outdoor adventures and immersive recreational activities, these outdoorsy wonders prove that a little nature goes a long way when it comes to relaxation.Sometimes all that’s needed to refresh and restore the body and mind is