Explore the best of Mexico by visiting one (or all!) of these incredible destinations around the country. From mouthwatering street food to high-end luxury resorts, there is something here for everyone and every budget. These are the most incredible spots in Mexico to give travelers an unforgettable trip.
Tulum is a backpackers' paradise, with plenty of hostels and hotels like the Wakax Hacienda to suit every need and budget. Tulum is part of Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, located on the Caribbean coast of the country. In addition to crystal clear blue waters and a lively party scene, Tulum has lots of options for wellness enthusiasts, including yoga classes, Reiki treatments, and spas.
- Accommodation: Wakax Hacienda - Cenote & Boutique Hotel
- Address: 239 Carr. Tulum - Cancún Ejidal, 77765 Tulum, Quintana Roo
- Why you should book: Private beach, outdoor pool, and spa and wellness center.
9 Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta is a vibrant destination for travelers looking to explore Mexico’s Pacific coast. Located in the state of Jalisco, Puerto Vallarta is home to local delicacies, like Birria Tacos, and is a great place to sample tequila because it's locally grown. Jalisco is responsible for growing 80% of the country’s blue agave. Puerto Vallarta offers incredible opportunities for whale watching or simply enjoying the ocean. Travelers may choose to stay at one of the many upscale resorts in the Hotel Zone or closer to the downtown region of the city in a boutique hotel, like the Bellview Hotel Boutique, which offers views of the famous Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
- Accommodation: Bellview Hotel Boutique
- Address: Miramar 363 B Centro, 48300 Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco
- Why you should book: Sea view rooms, downtown location in Centro, and free Wi-Fi.
Cancun is a popular destination for travelers from the East Coast of Canada and the United States. It’s a short flight away, has a stunning Caribbean coastline, and offers plenty of luxury hotels, from family-friendly resorts to couples-only getaways like the Sun Palace. Cancun is the place to splurge on a hotel in a great location by the beach since the turquoise waters and white sands are the highlights of this destination.
- Accommodation: Sun Palace - Couples Only
- Address: Blvd Kukulcan Km 20 Hotel Zone, 77500 Cancún, Quintana Roo
- Why you should book: Private beach, infinity pool, spa, wellness center, adults only, bar and lounge, and outdoor swimming pool.
Mérida is an up-and-coming travel destination in the Yucatán Peninsula and has been deemed the safest city in Mexico by many. This beautiful city is not directly on the coast but instead is renowned for its Mayan heritage and many ancient ruins. Since it’s still flying under the tourism radar, Mérida is extremely affordable, with gorgeous hotels in Centro like Hotel Hacienda Merida available for a low cost.
- Accommodation: Hotel Hacienda Merida
- Address: Calle 62 #439 x 51 y 53 Centro, 97000 Mérida, Yucatan
- Why you should book: Outdoor pool, bar and lounge, spa and wellness center, free Wi-Fi, and a flat-screen TV.
6 Isla Mujeres
Skip the expansive all-inclusive resort scene near Cancun and venture off to an island paradise instead for a unique Mexican vacation. Isla Mujeres is a short journey from the Cancun airport and offers travelers a chance to relax at hotels like Casa de Los Suenos, with beautiful views of the surrounding Caribbean waters.
- Accommodation: Casa de Los Suenos
- Address: Carretera Garrafon Manzana 55, 77400 Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo
- Why you should book: Snorkeling, outdoor pool, spa, wellness center, and restaurant on site.
5 Cabo San Lucas
For travelers coming to Mexico from the west coast of the United States or Canada, Cabo San Lucas is a popular choice. Located in the Mexican state of Baja, California, Cabo San Lucas is a picturesque destination with rocky cliffs protruding from the turquoise waters and romantic villas like Marina View Villas to stay in.
- Accommodation: Marina View Villas
- Address: Lienzo Charro
- Why you should book: Infinity pool, hot tub, city view, game room, sauna, outdoor pool, mountain view, and lake view.
Chiapas is a southern Mexican state that borders Guatemala, and it offers a completely different travel experience from the rest of the country. It’s got stunning landscapes of mountains and rainforests but still has the Mayan ruins and historical sites that fascinate so many visitors to places like the Yucatán Peninsula. Prices in Chiapas are low, enabling visitors to get a high-end experience on a budget. Stay in boutique hotels like Hotel Grand Maria in San Cristóbal de Las Casas for an authentic taste of local life.
- Accommodation: Hotel Grand Maria
- Address: Flavio A. Paniagua 17, 29230 San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas
- Why you should book: Hot tub, flat screen TV, safe in each room, and free Wi-Fi.
3 Playa Del Carmen
Located in the state of Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen is a coastal town in Riviera Maya and is a coveted getaway spot for vacationers and digital nomads alike. Playa del Carmen offers many beautiful beaches in the Caribbean, proximity to idyllic cenotes, and quaint city streets with markets to explore. Travelers can get a taste of luxury here on a budget by choosing high-end hotels like KAYAK Luna, with lots of amenities.
- Accommodation: KAYAK Luna
- Address: Avenida 10 entre 10 y 12, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo
- Why you should book: In-room yoga, eclipse rooftop bar, intimacy kits, self-check-in, in-room drip coffee, and rooftop pool.
Oaxaca de Juárez, or Oaxaca City, is a city in the Mexican state of the same name. It is often overlooked by travelers because it doesn’t boast the same slew of all-inclusive resorts as some places on the Caribbean coast. But, travelers can stay in comfortable accommodations like the Hotel Hacienda Los Laureles while exploring the city’s amazing gastronomical scene. Oaxaca City is said to be one of the best foodie destinations in all of Mexico.
- Accommodation: Hotel Hacienda Los Laureles
- Address: Hidalgo 21, San Felipe del Agua, 68020 Oaxaca, Oaxaca
- Why you should book: Outdoor pool, spa, wellness center, room service, restaurant, and bar/lounge.
1 Mexico City
It’s not a beach destination, but it’s impossible to mention the most amazing destinations in Mexico without recognizing its capital. Mexico City has plenty of upscale hotels at affordable prices, including the Hyatt Regency Mexico City. Staying in the heart of the nation’s capital enables travelers to explore local restaurants and experience authentic Mexican culture.
- Accommodation: Hyatt Regency Mexico City
- Address: Campos Eliseos No. 204 Polanco, 11560 Mexico City, Mexico City Federal District
- Why you should book: Indoor pool, fitness center, coffee shop, room service, restaurant, and bar/lounge.